Real Madrid: Benzema facing trial in Valbuena sex tape case
Real Madrid striker Karim Benzema will stand trial for his alleged role in an attempted blackmail case involving former France international Mathieu Valbuena.
Real Madrid striker Karim Benzema will stand trial for his alleged involvement in an attempted blackmail case targeting former France team-mate Mathieu Valbuena over a sex tape, which saw the 33-year-old banished from the France national team.
Prosecutors in Versailles confirmed the development regarding Benzema and four others on Thursday, according to reports in France.
Benzema, who denies any wrongdoing, was charged in 2015 in relation to the incident. He previously appealed against the charge but is now set for trial.
"Benzema doesn't have anything to be blamed for"
#UPDATE Real Madrid forward Karim Benzema is to face trial for attempted blackmail in a case linked to a sex tape featuring his former France teammate Mathieu Valbuena, French prosecutors sayhttps://t.co/mpsep38CfE for #AFPsports— AFP News Agency (@AFP) January 7, 2021
"The decision to take this to trial is absurd and unfair," Sylvain Cormier, his lawyer, told EFE. "Benzema doesn't have anything to be blamed for."
Paul-Albert Iweins, Valbuena's counsel, told L'Equipe the decision was "the logical continuation of the instruction which perfectly established the participation of the various people".
Te recomendamos en English
- Kane not at Spurs training? English media would have helicopters out if Pogba tried that – Ferdinand
- OLYMPIC GAMES | LONG JUMP Tokyo 2021: Upset Echevarria after long jump silver due to injury, US avoid first-time basketball shock
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo 2021: Belarusian sprinter who refused to leave Tokyo is now "safe"
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOCCER How many Olympic medals did Mia Hamm win?
- OLYMPICS | GYMNASTICS Simone Biles will return for Team USA for balance beam final
- OLYMPIC GAMES Rapinoe admits USA "didn't have that juice" after shock Canada defeat