Mbappé: "Neymar is the project focus, and I'm here to help him"
The PSG star spoke to France Football magazine amid much speculation over his future, with talk of a move to either Real Madrid or Liverpool taking the headlines.
Paris Saint-Germain have some crucial months ahead of them when it comes to the future of their footballing project. The main objective right now is ensuring that their two headline stars, Neymar Jr and Kylian Mbappé, renew their respective contracts, both of which expire in 2022. Following an interview by Telefoot of Neymar which we brought you yesterday, France Football magazine spoke with the other half of the devastating pairing.
Mbappé reflects on Neymar relationship
"Neymar knows how to do everything,” began the young Frenchman, reciprocating the praise that his teammate poured on him. “He is the best in the world. When he arrived in Paris, we realised everything he can do.
“He's not a player who just puts on a show and dances when we're 5-0 up. He can also do spectacular things at 0-0.
“I don't know if everyone is aware of it, but Neymar understands everything. He has an instinct that makes him see everything instantly.”
À lire dans France Football cette semaine : Neymar-Mbappé, les copains d'abord https://t.co/QalMJgMKL6— France Football (@francefootball) February 1, 2021
The Brazilian star had described Mbappé as being like his little brother and the younger ‘sibling’ was just as positive about their relationship.
"I've always believed that great players are made to play together… and that was clearly true about us. From the moment I arrived in Paris our statuses were set: Neymar is the heart of the project, and I'm there to help him.
“This is because when I arrived at PSG, I was only a rising star, and I had to confirm it on the pitch.”
Asked whether him winning the World Cup changed the relationship at all, Mbappé was clear.
“No. There has always been a lot of respect and honesty between us. It's the basis of our relationship.
“Ney is someone I think very highly of. When I came back from the World Cup I was disappointed for him. I always tried to change the subject with him about the World Cup.”
Neymar the man
"Neymar is a good guy, a far cry from those caricatures of an arrogant kid. I will never forget how he helped me in my early days.
“When you're 18 and you come into a big dressing room, it's never easy. In these big teams, 60% of your success depends on your football and the other 40% on how well you acclimatise to the dressing room.
“He helped me and I’ll never forget that.”
Te recomendamos en English
- UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS Unemployment benefits: can self-employed workers qualify for a new round of payments?
- BOXING Anthony Joshua vs Oleksandr Usyk: fight card, TV & how to watch online
- OTHER SPORTS Anthony Joshua vs Oleksandr Usyk: how much does the winner make?
- NFL Stafford give Rams slight edge in blockbuster Bucs clash
- NBA Clippers chief unsure if Kawhi Leonard will play this season
- NBA NBA denies Warriors star Wiggins' request for covid-19 vaccination exemption