MLS and MLSPA reach deal to start 2021 season - reports
A collective bargaining agreement has been reached between Major League Soccer and the players’ union to start the 2021 season, according to various reports.
Back in December, Major League Soccer decided to invoke a “force majeure” clause that obligated the league and the MLSPA to negotiate the existing Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) agreed back in June when the league announced the 2020 MLS is Back tournament amid the coronavirus pandemic.
The decision to invoke the force majeure clause was on the grounds of revenue losses due to the coronavirus pandemic. Previously, the MLS commissioner Don Garber had said that the league’s clubs have lost nearly $1 billion this season because much of the revenue comes from ticket sales and stadiums will not be allowed to be at full-capacity until late 2021, if that.
New deal for the 2021 season
The 2021 Major League Soccer campaign will begin on 3 April due to the coronavirus pandemic and the last regular season game will be played on 7 November. The playoffs will start on 19 November and the final will be played on 11 December. Prior to the season beginning, according to multiple reports, a deal has been reached between MLS and the players’ union.
The vote among members of the Major League Soccer Players Association’s bargaining committee and executive board was 24-11, according to ESPN. If they hadn’t reached a deal by midnight Friday, then the club owners would have to lock them out and delay the start of the season.
Now that a deal has been tentatively reached, it is subject to approval of the MLS board of Governors and the MLSPA. The league has been working alongside the club owners because they want to extend the CBA through the 2027 season in exchange for the players salary not to be cut.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: Child Tax Credit extension to 2025, new payment in California, unemployment benefits...
- Stimulus Checks Second $600 Golden State stimulus check: when will I receive it and how to track
- US NEWS California stimulus check: when will the payments arrive and who qualifies?
- PSG Lionel Messi's PSG contract details revealed
- Soccer Pele in hospital: daughter says he's recovering well
- MLB MLB results: Los Angeles Dodgers beaten by Cincinnati Reds