Fenerbahçe: We won't sign Mohamed even if he becomes the new Messi
The Turkish side football director denied the possibility that his club would ever be interested in signing Galatasaray shining loanee.
Fenerbahçe sporting director Emre Belözoğlu spoke of Galatasaray's promising striker, Mostafa Mohamed, who has had a brilliant start to life in Turkey.
Emre has stated that his side won't try to land the player even if he becomes as good as Leo Messi, although they had earlier sent Zamalek an offer for the player that was turned down before he joined his current team.
"Mostafa Mohamed's name was suggested to us by one of the agents as we were looking for a striker at the beginning of the season," Emre told Turkish newspaper "Fotomaç".
"We took a liking to the player when we watched him and we sent Zamalek a $2 million offer" he added.
Belözoğlu went on to mention that Zamalek's president back then (Mortada Mansour) refused the offer for political reasons as he considered Turkey as an opposing country to Egypt and said he was not going to sell the player to any Turkish club.
Not even if he becomes as good as Messi
He also noted that in response to Zamalek's former president's statement his club wouldn't sign Mostafa Mohamed "for free even if he became as good as Messi", adding that he was surprised at Galatasaray's decision to sign the player after Mansour's speech.
The 23-year-old striker is off to a flyer with Galatasaray fans, scoring 71% of the team's goals in the last seven games as he netted six times in his first six appearances.
Recommended in English
- US NEWS Would a government shutdown in December completely stop fourth stimulus check negotiations?
- SOCIAL SECURITY Can you change your Social Security number for any reason?
- NFL Bucs' Antonio Brown banned for three games by NFL
- PREMIER LEAGUE Why has Michael Carrick left Manchester Utd?
- NFL How are the uniforms of the 2021 Army vs. Navy football game? Are they for sale?
- SOCCER With what teams has Cristiano Ronaldo scored career 800 goals?