Ter Stegen ruled out of Euro 2020 with Germany
The goalkeeper will undergo a "therapeutic procedure" on 20 May in Malmo, as announced by the club, in a bid to solve his knee problems.
Marc André Ter Stegen will once again undergo surgery on the patellar tendon in his right leg. It will be the second time he has undergone surgery, after last summer's procedure. On that occasion, the doctor responsible for the operation was Ramón Cugat. However, Ter Stegen has now decided to change surgeon, and will go to Sweden to undergo this new operation, which the club describe as a "therapeutic procedure".
The operation, which is scheduled for Thursday, will be carried out by tendon surgeon Hakan Alfredson at the GHP Ortho Center clinic in Malmo. He is one of the world's top patellar tendon surgeons, with players such as Zlatan Ibrahimovic on his list of patients.
Ter Stegen to return for start of next season
He is now waiting to see how long he will be out of action for after the operation. The last time he underwent surgery, the goalkeeper was sidelined for more than two months. However, everything suggests that this second operation will be much less invasive than the previous one, so the time spent on the sideline could be slightly less.
Ter Stegen will miss Barcelona's final match of the current LaLiga season, and took to Instagram to announce that he won't take part in the European Championship with Germany next month. Doctor José González explained to AS that "the surgery has to be minimally invasive for him to have any chance of being at the European Championship, and that's being a goalkeeper, if he wasn't a goalkeeper it would be impossible for him to make it".
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOCCER USA beat Australia to win bronze medal
- OLYMPICS | BASKETBALL Durant and Team USA roll with the punches to bring gold closer
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021: what is Megan Rapinoe's net worth?
- OLYMPIC GAMES How long is a Marathon? How far is it in miles?
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics: IOC apologize after Ukraine and ROC confusion
- OLYMPIC GAMES | GOLF Tokyo Olympics: USA star Korda sizzles in the heat while flirting with 59