Tebas, unsure that Messi will continue at Barça: "I don't know..."
LaLiga's president spoke to Jugones and clarified that Barcelona cannot register the Argentinean if they don't get other players off the payroll.
"I don't know," was all Javier Tebas had to say when asked whether he thought Leo Messi will still be playing for Barcelona when the new season kicks off on 15 August. LaLiga's president spoke to La Sexta's Jugones programme about the situation concerning the Argentinean, whose contract with Barcelona expired on 30 June although the club are hopeful he will agree to a new deal. Tebas was forthright about club staying within LaLiga's salary limit: "The rules are the rules and everyone has to comply with them, from Alcorcón to Barcelona".
He continued, "It's one thing to exceed the salary limit and another to renew a player's contract or bring in players under the one-for-four rule. For every four euros I save, I am able to spend one euro". With just 38 days until the 2021/22 season starts in Spain, Tebas was frank about the possibility of Barcelona being able to register the Argentinean.
"If another player doesn't leave, it's impossible," Tebas responded when asked if Barcelona could register Messi in LaLiga without getting other players off the payroll. The Catalan club has ready offloaded a number of players from the first team squad (Junior, Trincão, Konrad, Todibo...) but it seems that they will have to make further cuts if they are to lure their iconic No.10 back.
Recommended in English
- GLOBAL NEWS How much money has baby shark made?
- ALFREDO RELAÑO Francisco Gento, ‘The Gale of the Cantabrian Sea’
- NFL Seahawks fire defensive coordinator Ken Norton Jr.
- NFL Joe Burrow: Winning playoff games the standard to meet for the Bengals
- NFL What is Aaron Rodgers' record against the 49ers?
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid's big question: how to fit Erling Haaland and Kylian Mbappé into the same team