Tebas, unsure that Messi will continue at Barça: "I don't know..."
LaLiga's president spoke to Jugones and clarified that Barcelona cannot register the Argentinean if they don't get other players off the payroll.
"I don't know," was all Javier Tebas had to say when asked whether he thought Leo Messi will still be playing for Barcelona when the new season kicks off on 15 August. LaLiga's president spoke to La Sexta's Jugones programme about the situation concerning the Argentinean, whose contract with Barcelona expired on 30 June although the club are hopeful he will agree to a new deal. Tebas was forthright about club staying within LaLiga's salary limit: "The rules are the rules and everyone has to comply with them, from Alcorcón to Barcelona".
He continued, "It's one thing to exceed the salary limit and another to renew a player's contract or bring in players under the one-for-four rule. For every four euros I save, I am able to spend one euro". With just 38 days until the 2021/22 season starts in Spain, Tebas was frank about the possibility of Barcelona being able to register the Argentinean.
"If another player doesn't leave, it's impossible," Tebas responded when asked if Barcelona could register Messi in LaLiga without getting other players off the payroll. The Catalan club has ready offloaded a number of players from the first team squad (Junior, Trincão, Konrad, Todibo...) but it seems that they will have to make further cuts if they are to lure their iconic No.10 back.
Te recomendamos en English
- NFL | PACKERS Rodgers: Packers Super Bowl contenders after 49ers win
- CORONAVIRUS VACCINES What’s the latest on the NYC DOE covid-19 vaccine mandate?
- US NEWS What caused the Amtrak train derailment?
- ALFREDO RELAÑO Ansu Fati returns to Barcelona after long layoff
- NFL Mahomes talks after Kansas City Chief's 30-24 defeat to Los Angeles Chargers
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Ancelotti on Sheriff, Modric, Kroos, Zidane, Mendy