El Salvador winless since 2009 in World Cup qualifiers against Mexico
The last time the El Salvador national team defeated Mexico at the Estadio Cuscatlán was in the 2009 World Cup qualifiers, with a score of 2-1.
The Estadio Cuscatlán is one of the most hostile venues in CONCACAF and home fans make their presence felt during the entire 90 minutes. The United States left with a scoreless draw in the start of the World Cup qualifiers last month and Tyler Adams spoke about the pressure they felt during the entire match.
Mexico will face a hostile environment tonight
Today is the turn for the Mexican national team to play against El Salvador at the Estadio Cuscatlán on matchday 6 of the round-robin tournament. The last time ‘La Selecta’ defeated Mexico in the World Cup qualifiers was in 2009. In that game Julio Martínez and Eliseo Quintanilla scored for the home side and Cuauhtémoc Blanco scored for ‘El Tri.’
That was the last time Mexico played at the Estadio Cuscatlán because El Salvador failed to qualify for the final round in the last two World Cup qualifiers in CONCACAF. The fans have made their presence felt since yesterday when Mexico arrived in the country. They were throwing fireworks the entire night to prevent the players from sleeping.
El Salvador need the three points to keep up their hopes of qualifying for the World Cup for the first time since 1982. They are currently in sixth place with five points and a record of 1W-2D-2L. Meanwhile, Mexico are in first place with 11 points and a record of 3W-2D-0L.
For tonight’s match it has been confirmed that Jairo Henriquez didn’t recover from his ankle injury suffered in El Salvador's 2-1 defeat against Costa Rica last Sunday. The midfielder is a key player for the team managed by Hugo Pérez and he was the one who scored against Keylor Navas.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Fourth Stimulus Check Update: what's the situation in every state?
- NFL Congress demands answers from the NFL about WFT investigation
- NFL The NFL proposes a solution to its problem of 'race norming' in dementia settlements
- NFL NFL 21-22: What's the NFL record for most interceptions in a season?
- US NEWS Camera crew walk-off in the hours before Alec Baldwin fatally shot Halyna Hutchins
- US NEWS What states saw the highest number of workers quit this summer?