Weston McKennie suffers knee injury in Juventus defeat to Atalanta
The United States men’s international team midfielder had to be replaced in Juve’s 1-0 defeat to Atalanta on Saturday and will be monitored daily.
Juventus are in the process of rebuilding this season under manager Massimiliano Allegri and they have been struggling in Serie A this year. The ‘Old Lady’ suffered a 1-0 defeat to Atalanta at the Allianz Stadium on Saturday, on matchday 14 of the campaign. This defeat puts them in seventh place with 21 points and a record of 6W-3D-5D.
Weston McKennie made his 11th appearance of the 2021/22 Serie A season, nine as a starter, and had to be replaced in the 64th minute of the game by Moise Kean. The United States international suffered a right knee sprain and underwent a medical examination to check the severity of the injury.
Juventus confirmed on Sunday that McKennie suffered a “capsule ligament injury of the right knee” and will be monitored daily to check his progress. There is no timeline for his return, but most likely he won’t play on Tuesday against Salernitana on matchday 15 of the Serie A season.
There was further bad news for Juve because their star striker Federico Chiesa also had to be replaced in the 1-0 defeat. The 23-year-old, who has only scored one goal this season, suffered a “low-grade hamstring injury of the left thigh” and is expected to return after the Christmas break.
Recommended in English
- NFL Tom Brady 'remains noncommittal’ about playing in 2022; Bruce Arians remains hopeful
- NFL What teams are left in the NFL playoffs?
- Real Madrid Benzema: "Madrid is everything to me, I feel at home here"
- SERIE A Vlahovic: Fiorentina say no offers for in-demand striker
- BAYERN MUNICH Bayern want Lewandowski and Neuer to end careers in Munich
- NFL Buccaneers' Tom Brady picked up first career unsportsmanlike conduct penalty vs Rams