Mourinho to replace Van Gaal as Man United manager
The club are set to announce the Special One's appointment after Saturday’s FA Cup final, regardless of the result. Mourinho will sign a three-year deal with Manchester UnitedChampions League semi-final draw: live online
Manchester United are set to announce that a three-year deal has been brokered to make José Mourinho the new first team manager. The Old Trafford hierarchy is expected to issue a statement following today's FA Cup final between Louis van Gaal's side and Crystal Palace.
Negotiations between Ed Woodward, the Premier League club’s executive vice-president, and Jorge Mendes, the 53-year-old’s agent, took place weeks ago; however, some uncertainty about the appointment still lingered within the Red Devils’ board room. Nonetheless, the conclusion was eventually made that irrespective of today’s result at Wembley, Van Gaal’s tenure has come to an end. Mourinho signed a pre-contract with Man United stipulating that should the Portuguese tactician not take charge of the team, he would be entitled to millions of euro in compensation.
Mourinho could earn €15 million a season as Man Utd coach
As well as being remunerated handsomely – his salary could reach €15 million per season - Mourinho has also asked the club’s owners for a drastic overhaul of the squad. Bearing in mind that United’s cross-city rivals will be giving new manager Pep Guardiola access to a deep war chest, this news makes it very likely that Manchester will be the world capital of big-money transfers this summer. Speculation abounds about Real Madrid and Barcelona players being pursued to enact the desired personnel changes. Mourinho’s arrival puts Juan Mata’s future at Old Trafford in doubt; the diminutive midfielder was forced to leave Chelsea two years ago due to the Special One lacking faith in his abilities.
There had been talk of Van Gaal staying on and taking over from David Gill as the club’s sporting director, so as to work side by side with Mourinho. However, in the end it has been decided that the Dutchman will leave. Manchester United failure to qualify for next season’s Champions League, and the financial implications that will entail, is a fact that is not lost on fans. The poor personal relationships that exist between Van Gaal and the majority of his players only goes to reinforce the decision to cut ties with him.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check and Child Tax Credit live updates: can it be passed in August? Dates, tax return, opt-out...
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 medal count updates: who has won more? Tally by country, today, 3 August
- OLYMPIC GAMES | ATHLETICS Tokyo Olympics: Warholm breaks own record of 46-second in 400 m hurdle gold run
- OLYMPIC GAMES | GYMNASTICS How many Olympic medals has Simone Biles? What's her position in US historical ranking?
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics: Belarus must answer to IOC over Tsimanouskaya saga
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics Recap: Warholm hurdles into history, Durant inspires USA into basketball semis