REAL MADRID 1 -ATLÉTICO 1 (5-3) | SIMEONE
Simeone distraught at losing Champions League final to Real
Atlético Madrid coach Simone said losing two Champions League finals to Real Madrid was a failure, and said he would think about his future.
Simeone, Atlético Madrid's coach, spoke after his side had been beaten on penalties in the final of the Champions League in Milan. He said that losing two Champions League finals in three seasons was a "failure", after Ronaldo scored the winning penalty to see Real Madrid take the penalty shoot-out 5-3, after a 1-1 draw.
Simeone thinking about his future
Argentinean Simeone also appeared to suggest that a potential exit from the Calderón might be on the cards for him after this defeat, saying he didn't know if he had to continue with Atleti or if this was "the end of a cycle? I have to think about about that".
Congratulations to Real Madrid
"It puts a lot of years on you," said Simeone. "Congratulations to Real Madrid -- once again they were superior to us, this time at penalties. We started the game badly, then we got ourselves organised from the 20th minute. In the second half we could have equalised very quickly but our intention was clear.
"What really hurts me is to see the hurt of the people who've paid to come here -- I feel a bit responsible that I wasn't able to give them what they wanted. That's what really hurts. I feel responsible for the fans who have bought their tickets."
Atletico have still never lifted the European Cup, also losing the 1974 final to Bayern Munich in a replay.
Te recomendamos en English
- BOXING Joshua: "No real strategy except for winning" against Usyk
- BOXING Anthony Joshua vs Oleksandr Osyk: date, tickets, venue
- WORLD NEWS How does Evergrande conglomerate put China's housing system in danger of collapse?
- PREMIER LEAGUE Klopp salutes Liverpool ace Minamino and reveals Firmino fitness update
- GOLF Five reasons why we all love the Ryder Cup
- NBA 15-year NBA veteran JJ Redick announces retirement