Gugu Zulu, motorsport star, dies climbing Kilimanjaro
A popular South African racing driver died early Monday while trying to reach the summit of Tanzania's Mount Kilimanjaro for a charity linked to Nelson Mandela.
Gugu Zulu dies climbing Kilimanjaro
Gugu Zulu, a popular South African racing driver, died early Monday while trying to reach the summit of Tanzania's Mount Kilimanjaro for a charity linked to Nelson Mandela, the charity said.
'It is with a heavy heart that we announce that one of the climbers on the Trek4Mandela, Gugu Zulu, lost his life while summiting Kilimanjaro early this morning,' the Nelson Mandela Foundation said in a statement.
Zulu had wife by his side as he climbed
Zulu, 38, was climbing with his wife Letshego and a team of other climbers when he 'experienced breathing problems', the foundation said. 'We are informed that the medical teams tried everything possible to save his life.'
He was part of a team of climbers that was marking Mandela's birthday by trying to reach the peak of Kilimanjaro. The trek was in aid of some 350,000 underprivileged young girls who do not attend school because of a lack of sanitary products.
South Africa president Zuma pays tribute to Zulu
South Africa's President Jacob Zuma paid tribute to Zulu.
'We are deeply saddened by this tragic and painful incident which has taken place on a day on which we should be rejoicing and celebrating Madiba's legacy,' said Zuma, referring to Mandela by his clan name.
In an update posted on his Facebook page on Saturday (and now deleted), Zulu complained that he was having flu-like symptoms 'and struggling with the mountain but taking it step by step!!'
Sello Hatang, the CEO of the Nelson Mandela Foundation who had recruited Zulu to climb Africa's highest mountain, said was 'devastated' at the news of the death.
Te recomendamos en English
- Lautaro Martinez 'very happy' at Inter amid Barca links – agent
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus USA live updates: news, cases, deaths and stimulus checks, today
- Coronavirus USA Trump executive orders: could it be declared unconstitutional?
- Coronavirus Stimulus check: why is there no agreement on a second $1,200 payment?
- CORONAVIRUS Trump executive orders: when does $400 unemployment boost start?
- CORONAVIRUS USA Trump executive orders: when do they come into effect?