Barcelona have confirmed that contract negotiations have begun to hand Leo Messi an extended contract at the Camp Nou. The queue for new deals at the club is a long one, with Barça keen to tie Luis Suárez, Ivan Rakitic, Marc-Andre Ter Stegen and Sergi Roberto down with long-term contracts while Andrés Iniesta’s current agreement runs until 2018, the same as Messi’s.
Bartomeu: "Messi is the best player in the history of football"
But the Argentinean is the main priority for the club, as president Josep Maria Bartomeu confirmed. Speaking to Sky Sports, the Barcelona chief said that preliminary talks have begun over a new deal for the number 10: “Everybody, including him, knows that what we want is for him to stay here for as long as he wants. He is the best player in the world. He is the number one and on a completely different level to the rest. Of course everybody is entitled to their opinion but for me, he is the best player in the history of football."
Recommended in English
- SOCIAL SECURITY BENEFITS At what age can you collect Social Security?
- Health What is ‘Golden Blood’, the incredibly rare blood type known as Rhnull
- ALFREDO RELAÑO LaLiga's conundrum in trying to schedule match-day 21
- NFL Divisional round predictions: Bengals vs Titans, 49ers vs Packers, Rams vs Bucs, Bills vs Chiefs
- NFL LA Rams' QB Matthew Stafford is ready to play the Bucs
- COPA DEL REY Athletic Club vs Barcelona summary: score, goals, highlights, Copa del Rey 2021-22