Lucas Hernández rejects France call from Didier Deschamps
The Atlético Madrid defender is determined to play for Spain despite being eligible for Les Bleus and with the France coach courting his services.
Atlético Madrid defender Lucas Hernández, born in Marseille to a French father and Spanish mother, has the option to represent either country at international level and although he would prefer to receive a call up from Julen Lopetegui it is Didier Deschamps who has been punching his number into his mobile with greater frequency.
According to Spanish radio network Cadena SER, the Les Bleus coach asked about Hernández’ availability for the upcoming friendlies against Colombia and Russia but was rejected by the Atlético defender, who is still hoping to find his way into the Spain national side.
Hernández awaiting call from Spanish federation
However, with Hernández’s Spanish nationality still in the pipeline the 22-year-old faces a waiting game. If he does not receive any indication from Lopetegui that he is in his plans, he may hold on until Deschamps announces his final squad for Russia before nailing his colours to a mast.
Although Lopetegui and Spanish Football Federation chief have been keeping an eye on Hernández and suggested he could be in line for a call-up, noting has yet proved concrete and the France under-21 international is willing to wait until the Spain coach announces his squad.
Hernández recently explained: “Spain has given me everything in my life and my nationalization is nearly completed. I would love to play for Spain because I consider myself a Spaniard. What can I say? I speak better Spanish than French. That says it all really.”
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Does Medicaid cover dental? How can I find a clinic that accepts Medicaid?
- US NEWS Who controls gas prices in the United States? How can the price of gas go down?
- US NEWS Why are gas pricing increasing in October 2021?
- SOCIAL SECURITY How many numbers are in a Social Security Number?
- SOCCER Pelé moving 'closer to the goal' as Brazil great continues recovery
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE New setback for Atlético Madrid's Marcos Llorente