Depay: "Consistency only thing stopping me being best in world"
Lyon and Netherlands star Memphis Depay claims he cannot "play simple", but says he has the quality to be among the world's elite players.
Memphis Depay is adamant the only thing stopping him from being the "best in the world" is consistency and accepts he will not be able to achieve his goal at Lyon.
Depay's natural talent has rarely been doubted ever since his breakthrough season with PSV in 2013-14 and subsequent Netherlands showings at the World Cup.
But he failed to live up to expectations when he moved to Manchester United in 2015, only showing flashes of his ability during a year and a half at Old Trafford.
He ultimately moved to Ligue 1 and Lyon in January 2017 and is enjoying a fine season, having scored 10 times – including the late winner over Marseille on Sunday – and set up another six in 28 games, but he still struggles to impress on a weekly basis.
And that, he says, is the only thing preventing him from being considered among the world's elite players.
"I cannot become the best in the world by staying in Lyon"
"Of course, I want to be the best in the world," he told the Canal Football Club show. "I want to play against big teams and against big stars.
"What am I missing to be the best? Honestly, nothing in terms of quality, just consistency, and that's not arrogance.
"I take risks and sometimes it's not the best choice. I have to take that kind of risk to become one of the best players in the world. If that's what I want to be, I cannot just play simple."
He recognises the accomplishing of such a target is never going to happen by staying with Lyon, suggesting he will not be looking to remain with the French club for much longer.
"I cannot become the best in the world by staying in Lyon," he said. "That's clear. [Alexandre] Lacazette had to go to Arsenal to progress."
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021: medal winners, athletes and results, 25 July
- HEALTHCARE What is the Candida auris 'superbug' fungal infection spreading in the US? What are the symptoms?
- US NEWS What is critical race theory? What topics were cut under Texas’ new anti-CRT education bill?
- Concacaf Gold Cup USA vs Jamaica live: 2021 CONCACAF Gold Cup Quarter-final online
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: Katie Ledecky medals, swimming finals, medal count results today July 25
- Olympic Games Tokyo Olympics 2021: When does Team USA Gymnastics and Simone Biles compete? dates and times