Barcelona are one win away from being crowned league champions
Victory against Deportivo at Riazor on 29 April would be enough for Barcelona to clinch the league title, the earliest date they could become champions.
Barcelona could be crowned LaLiga champions on Sunday 29 April at the earliest. After closest rivals Atlético crashed to a 3-0 defeat this evening in Anoeta, Valverde's team are 12 points clear at the top of the table and require just one victory to secure the league title. Even if Simeone's team beat Betis on Sunday, they will be unable to catch Barça if the Catalans are victorious in their trip to Deportivo the following weekend.
Atleti, 12 points behind; Madrid, 15 points behind
If Atlético lose on Sunday to Betis, they will be unable to catch Barça - but that doesn't not mean that the league title race is over because 'mathematically', Real Madrid could theoretically still knock Barça off top spot. To do that, the Blaugranas, who haven't lost a game all season, would need to lose all of their remaining five matches - including the 6th May Clásico at Camp Nou by four goals or more. The chances of that happening however are practically negligable...
Recommended in English
- NATURAL DISASTERS Why do tsunamis happen in the Pacific Ocean?
- ENVIRONMENT Earth's sixth mass extinction has begun according to scientists
- TENNIS Djokovic could be spared three year Australia entry ban
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: $200 Social Security, tax return, Child Tax Credit, Golden State payment...
- NFL NFL Playoff Bracket: Who will play who in the Divisional Round?
- TENNIS Djokovic banned from Australia for three years, federal government confirms