Ovation for Iniesta on his last game in Spain
The fans in Villarreal paid homage to the Spain star both at the start of the match, and when he was substituted after 55'.
Spain started their final preparations for the World Cup in Russia in the Cerámica Stadium with a friendly against Spain, and one of the main talking points was the fact that the match was Andrés Iniesta's final game in a Spain shirt on Spanish soil, with the midfielder having announced he'll retire from international football after the World Cup.
Villarreal shows Iniesta the love
- Vissel Kobe
The fans in Villarreal were clearly keen to show their appreciation for the scorer of the goal that gave Spain the World Cup in 2010, and Iniesta was loudly applauded when his name was read out and when he came out of the tunnel.
Iniesta, who has also retired from Barcelona and is now heading to Japan to ply his trade, was given a huge ovation when he was substituted in the 55th minute, with Saúl coming on for him. To applause and chants of "Iniesta! Iniesta!" the midfield legend left the pitch for the last time in a Spain jersey on Spanish soil.
Te recomendamos en English
- MLS Gonzalo Higuaín returned to the MLS Team of the Week
- LALIGA SANTANDER Coutinho reaches 100, but Barcelona won't pay Liverpool variable
- SOCCER | BARCELONA Koeman: Clasico Barcelona fans incident reflects "social issues"
- NBA | BULLS Bulls 'want to win now' after following in Michael Jordan's footsteps with 4-0 start
- MLB When was the last time the Astros and Braves won the World Series?
- WORLD SERIES Who are the MLB World Series winners by year?