Barça controversy ref Aytekin to oversee Plzen-Real Madrid
The German official came under fire for his handling of the famous Barça-PSG Champions League game in 2016-17 and was shelved by Uefa.
German referee Deniz Aytekin has been placed in charge of a Real Madrid game for the first time and will oversee the reigning European champions’ fixture against Viktoria Plzen on Wednesday night (21:00 CET).
Aytekin's Barcelona fallout
Aytekin achieved a certain notoriety after officiating Barcelona’s stunning 6-1 comeback victory over PSG in the 2016-17 Champions League, a performance that drew plenty of criticism in his native country with Tagesspiegel opining that the 40-year-old “facilitated” Barça’s victory. Broadsheet Handelsblatt went even further: “It was clear: the penalty awarded to Barcelona in the 90th minute was a joke. And a bad one at that.”
As a result of that game, Uefa placed Aytekin in the dreaded “fridge” for the remainder of the season, the German being denied the opportunity to referee any of the 17 subsequent games in the competition that season.
- Czech Republic
Te recomendamos en English
- EMMY AWARDS What's the difference between an Emmy and an Oscar award?
- US NEWS Body found in Wyoming fits the description of missing 22-year-old Gabby Petito
- NFL Cleveland Browns safety Ronnie Harrison Jr. fined for a push
- NFL Kansas City Chiefs 35 vs Baltimore Ravens 36 summary: score, stats, and highlights | Week 2
- NFL The New Orleans Saints slump to defeat against Carolina Panthers
- NFL NY Jets QB Zach Wilson throws 4 interceptions in loss to Patriots