Tiger doubles Mickelson's first hole bet to $200,000
Phil Mickelson was told to "double it" when he suggested a bet of $100,000 to get the round off to a strong start to their $9million winner-takes-all contest.
Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson are going head-to-head in a $9million winner-takes-all contest at Shadow Creek Golf Course in Las Vegas. And Mickelson was quick to heat things up even further by laying down a $200,000 bet to his opponent that he would birdie the first hole on Friday.
Woods and Mickelson in big money clash
The plan for the event is that the two Americans who have 19 majors between them will have some side bets on the go and the money won would then be donated to charity. And, in front of the world's media on Tuesday, Mickelson backed himself to get off to a good start against his friend Woods.
"So I've thought a lot about this and there are spots out on the course that are some great spots for a little challenge and the challenges are coming directly out of our pockets, okay?" Mickelson said.
"And I feel like the first hole is a great hole for me. And I believe - in fact I'm willing to risk $100,000 that says I birdie the first hole. So that's how good I feel heading into this match."
He then teased Woods further: "You don't have to take it. You don't have to take it at all. But I'm going to throw that out there."
Woods was quick to reply: "Double it."
Not a man to back down, Mickelson responded: "Did you see how I baited him like that? Yes! [$200,000] says I birdie the first hole." To which Woods simply said: "Done."
That should get a few more interested eyes on the match.
Recommended in English
- Coronavirus Is armpit pain after the covid vaccine or booster shot a normal symptom?
- SOCCER Mohamed Salah sends message to Barcelona
- MLS Jesse Marsch linked to LAFC job after being sacked by RB Leipzig
- USMNT Christian Pulisic explains struggle on the road to recovery
- MANCHESTER UNITED Man United manager Rangnick delivers a 'chapeau' to Ronaldo work-rate
- NBA Did the Bucks' Giannis Antetokounmpo miss the game against Miami Heat?