Barcelona teenage sensation Ansu Fati makes Spain U-21 debut
The 16-year-old came on for the final ten minutes of action as Spain faced Montenegro in a Euro 2021 U-21 qualifying game.
Ansu Fati made his long-awaited debut in a Spain shirt with the Gradski Stadion in Podgorica (Montenegro) the setting for the Barcelona forward to stake his place in the history books being the second youngest player to play for Spain's U-21 side.
Debuting for Spain U-21 in 2007, Bojan Krkic pulled on the red shirt at the tender age of 16 years, 9 months and 8 days the current Montreal Impact making his debut 68 days younger than Fati for the Under 21 side.
Fati was finally cleared to play for Spain after being given the all clear from FIFA last Thursday. The youngster who has impressed at Camp Nou this season - taking advantage of injuries to Ernesto Valverde's forward line - received Spanish nationality on 20 September 2019. That was the first step in securing his eligibility to play for Spain, but there was still paperwork required by FIFA. One such requirement was proving that had not played before for Guinea-Bissau, his country of birth. This, and the other admin, took time and the eventual clearance finally meant he could be called up for the U-21 side in this international break eventually being selected to replace the injured Carles Perez.
Recommended in English
- SOCIAL SECURITY BENEFITS At what age can you collect Social Security?
- Health What is ‘Golden Blood’, the incredibly rare blood type known as Rhnull
- ALFREDO RELAÑO LaLiga's conundrum in trying to schedule match-day 21
- NFL Divisional round predictions: Bengals vs Titans, 49ers vs Packers, Rams vs Bucs, Bills vs Chiefs
- NFL LA Rams' QB Matthew Stafford is ready to play the Bucs
- COPA DEL REY Athletic Club vs Barcelona summary: score, goals, highlights, Copa del Rey 2021-22