Real Madrid oppose staging Villarreal-Atleti game in Miami
The club sent a strong letter to the RFEF, UEFA and FIFA to express their "opposition to the game as it would affect the integrity and equality the competition".
Real Madrid have sent a letter to the Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) to request that the Week 16 league match between Villarreal and Atlético Madrid should not be played in Miami, as LaLiga plan to do on 6 December. Similar letters have been forwarded to UEFA and FIFA. Madrid have formally expressed their "total opposition to the game being played in the United States as it would affect the integrity and equality of the competition". The strongly-worded document, which Diario AS has had access to, also accuses LaLiga of committing "a premeditated act, based on interests unrelated to and distant from those concerning sport".
Today, LaLiga sought legal permission for the game to go ahead in Miami next month through the Circuit Commercial Court No.12 in Madrid. Faced with that situation, Real Madrid have reacted by formally putting in writing their "surprise by LaLiga's intentions, and that of an organisation which must always maintain impartiality". Madrid letter added that staging the game in the United States will not only affect Villarreal and Atlético "but also the rest of the club who compete in the First Division - clubs who have not even been consulted".
Staging Villarreal-Atlético in Miami breaches FIFA regulations
The RFEF have forwarded Madrid's letter to UEFA and FIFA, who have already established general rules which state that "official league games played within each national federation must be played on local territory" otherwise FIFA authorisation is required. According to sources at the RFEF, "Villarreal and Atlético run the risk of landing themselves in serious trouble if they breach FIFA regulations".
LaLiga president Javier Tebas is confident of pushing ahead with the game in Miami because he is optimistic that his proposal will be notarized by the Commercial Court - especially after the deal to stage the next three editions of the Spanish Super Cup in Saudi Arabia...
Recommended in English
- COVID-19 Covid Omicron variant live updates: symptoms, vaccines, travel ban, South African cases...
- COVID-19 Where has the new covid-19 Omicron variant been detected? What are the symptoms?
- BOXING How much money are Teofimo Lopez and George Kambosos making? How much does the winner get?
- Social Security When does COLA 2022 take effect in Social Security Benefits? How to calculate your amount
- NFL Buffalo Bills CB White out for rest of season with ACL tear
- SUPREME COURT ABORTION CASES What are the abortion laws in America? In what states is it illegal to have an abortion?