Real Madrid: Odriozola close to joining Bayern Munich
Right-back Álvaro Odriozola, who has been a fringe figure at Real Madrid this season, is also interesting Athletic Bilbao.
Álvaro Odriozola is close to leaving Real Madrid. The full-back did not train with Los Blancos on Tuesday morning and could depart for the Bundesliga, although there is also LaLiga interest in the player.
Bayern eyeing loan move for Odriozola
Several reports in Germany say Bayern Munich are keen to do a loan deal with Madrid, just as they did in 2017 for James Rodríguez, who spent two years at the Allianz Arena before returning to the Bernabéu last summer.
Zidane confirms Odriozola in line for Real Madrid exit
Speaking to reporters ahead of Wednesday's Copa del Rey clash with Unionistas Salamanca, Madrid head coach Zinedine Zidane confirmed: "Odriozola has the opportunity to leave, but nothing's official yet."
Bayern in need of defensive reinforcements
Bayern's intention is to give head coach Hansi Flick more options at right-back, with the Bavarian club prioritising defensive reinforcements in the wake of a spate of injuries in the area in the first half of the season.
Odriozola's arrival would not only add depth at full-back, but also give Bayern more room for manoeuvre in central defence. With Niklas Süle, Lucas Hernández and Javi Martínez all out injured, Flick would have greater freedom to use Benjamin Pavard, Bayern's regular right-back this season, in the middle.
Athletic keeping tabs on Odriozola
In Spain, Athletic Bilbao are eyeing the former Real Sociedad player, who has featured for just 434 minutes for Madrid this season. As things stand, however, there appears to be only an outside chance of the 24-year-old making a move to San Mamés.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021: summary, results and medal count - 29 July
- GOLD CUP Mexico vs Canada, Gold Cup semi-final: how to watch - times, TV, online
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 medal count updates: who has won more? Tally by country, today, 29 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES | GYMNASTICS Simone Biles suffers twisties: What are they? How do they affect gymnasts?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | BASKETBALL Tokyo Olympics: Luka Doncic 'dominating the Games like no player in 30 years'
- OLYMPIC GAMES Golfer McIlroy praises Biles and Osaka for raising mental health awareness