Real Madrid: Sergio Ramos contract renewal remains on hold
The club captain has a contract until 2021 and the club are yet to call him or his agent. If he does not sign, he will arrived into the Euros as a free agent.
Sergio Ramos' contract renewal has been put on ice. Madrid, as reported by AS back in February, the club have not called Ramos not his agent (Rene, his brother). Before the crisis caused by coronavirus, the club were not considering it a priority. His current deal expires in 2021 and Real Madrid think it will be the middle of next season before they get around to dealing with the issue.
Madrid offered him another year on the deal but the 35-year-old wants two. The club captain did seem receptive and understanding of the club's policy of dealing with players of a certain age. Back in February, he said: "I understand that at a certain agae, they do it year by year."
The economic crisis caused by coronavirus could end up hurting Ramos, who is the best paid player in the team after Gareth Bale. An offer from Madrid might be lower than the current one.
Ramos contract talks complicated
There is one factor in favour of Ramos, however, and that is the postponement of the Euros this summer. This summer will be free of international competitions. Real Madrid face the possibility of Ramos wearing the captain's armband for Spain in the Euros next summer before signing for another club. It's something difficult to imagine for a club legend.
Despite the lack of negotiations, the captain of the club spoke with the club to come to an agreement on a reduction in his salary. With José Ángel Sánchez, specifically. The first call came on 5 April in an effort to find a solution and they made it official on 8 April. The squad understood the situation and arrived at an agreement quickly, which the club appreciated and could also come into the equation when Ramos sits down to renew his current deal.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Third stimulus check updates today: when it's coming, $1400 payments, IRS tax refund, House vote | Live
- Coronavirus Coronavirus US: are current vaccines effective against the Californian strain?
- Coronavirus Can unemployed Americans who refuse a job apply for unemployment benefits?
- Coronavirus Stimulus Checks Third stimulus check: how many votes are needed to pass the relief bill?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Third stimulus check calculator: how much could you receive?
- US POLITICS Will Mitch McConnell support Trump's possible candidacy in 2024?