Griezmann parts ways with sponsor Huawei over Uyghur accusations
Griezmann explained that he has parted ways with long-time sponsor Huawei for their alleged involvement in the design of a device that helped the Chinese government to identify members of the Uyghur ethnic minority group.
Barcelona forward Antoine Griezmann has announced that he is parting ways with his long-time sponsor Huawei, owing to the Chinese company's alleged involvement in contributing to the development of a 'Uyghur Alert' through facial recognition software to aid the repression of the Uyghur community by the Chinese government.
The France international posted a statement on Instagram explaining his move.
“I am taking this opportunity to invite Huawei to not just be happy with denying these accusations but to implement action as quickly as possible to condemn this mass persecution and use its influence to contribute to respecting rights of men and women throughout society.”
The Washington Post revealed that the tech brand had collaborated with the Chinese government in 2018 to develop a facial identifier that would help camera devices locate members of the Uyghur ethnic group, who live primarily in northwest China.
Recommended in English
- TENNIS Osaka gives up AO crown: 'This is the biggest step, even though I lost'
- ALFREDO RELAÑO Nothing quite beats single leg cup football
- NFL NFL playoffs: Rams must score big to beat Brady and Bucs, says Stafford
- PREMIER LEAGUE Chelsea under Thomas Tuchel: a year on
- QATAR 2022 World Cup Qatar 2022, African Qualifiers play-off draw: how and where to watch, times, TV, online