The records that América and Cruz Azul can break prior to their clash
The ‘Eagles’ and the ‘Machine’ are the two best teams in the 2021 Guardianes tournament and will face each other on matchday 15 at the Azteca stadium.
Cruz Azul are in top form this year and they have topped the table since matchday 7 of the 2021 Guardianes tournament. The ‘Machine’ have a total of 36 points and a record of 12-0-2 and after defeating Chivas 1-0 on Saturday and they remain unbeaten in their last 12 matches.
They have secured a top two finish with three games left of the regular season and the only ones that can take their first place is Club América. Also Cruz Azul are the third team in the history of Mexican soccer to win 12 consecutive games, Necaxa (1935) and Club León (2019), but that streak can come to an end next week.
‘El Clásico Jóven’
The team managed by Juan Reynoso will face Club América on matchday 15 at the Azteca stadium. A defeat against the ‘Eagles’ would bring them to second place and see their winning streak come to an end. But if Cruz Azul defeat América they will become the first team in Mexican soccer to win 13 consecutive matches.
If the ‘Machine’ are able to win the last three games of the regular season, they will tally a total of 45 points and surpass the record previously established by Club América in the 2002 Apertura tournament, who ended with 43 points. The ‘Machine’ are in top shape and they aspire to lift the title this year for the first time since 1997.
Santiago Solari looking to make history
This is Solari’s first tournament managing Club América and his team have been improving week after week. With the 3-1 victory against Tigres UANL on Saturday night, they also secured a top two finish with three games left in the regular season. Solari is one win away from reaching eight consecutive victories at home, the most by any other manager in the history of Club América. So the game against Cruz Azul has a lot at steak for both teams.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES | BASKETBALL Tokyo Olympics: Luka Doncic 'dominating the Games like no player in 30 years'
- OLYMPIC GAMES Golfer McIlroy praises Biles and Osaka for raising mental health awareness
- Coronavirus When would it be necessary to have the third covid-19 vaccine?
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: track and field, Caeleb Dressel, medal count, results, today 30 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES "Pressure is a privilege" - Djokovic on Biles and Osaka
- OLYMPIC GAMES Swimming: El Salvador's Celina Márquez departs Olympics