Real Madrid deny report over plans to join Premier League
Catalan sports newspaper Mundo Deportivo reported on Saturday that Real Madrid have been looking at a possible move to another domestic league.
Real Madrid have denied a claim that they have been looking at the possibility of leaving Spain's LaLiga for another domestic league.
Mundo Deportivo claims Real Madrid chief eyeing Premier League
On Saturday, Mundo Deportivo reported that Madrid’s myriad conflicts with LaLiga chief Javier Tebas have led club president Florentino Pérez to consider attempting to join an overseas league, with the English Premier League his preferred choice.
The Catalan sports daily said Tebas’ staunch opposition to the European Super League and LaLiga’s recent deal with the CVC Capital Partners investment fund have proved "the last straw" for Pérez.
The agreement with CVC, which sees the firm invest 2.1bn euros in LaLiga in exchange for around 10% of the league’s television revenue, was passed by a 38-4 vote on Friday. Madrid were one of the four clubs to reject the proposal, and earlier this week Los Blancos announced “civil and criminal legal action” against Tebas over the deal.
Together with Barcelona and Juventus, meanwhile, Madrid are one of three clubs who are refusing to walk away from the breakaway Super League project, which saw nine of its 12 ‘founding members’ quickly pull out after a media and fan backlash following its announcement in April.
Pérez was named president of the Super League and, in an April interview with the Spanish television show El Chiringuito, claimed: "We are doing this to save football, which is going through a critical time and is close to ruin."
Mundo Deportivo added that the Madrid president has also looked into Italy’s Serie A and Germany’s Bundesliga as potential destinations.
Real Madrid dismiss Mundo Deportivo claim as "absurd"
In response to Mundo Deportivo's report, Madrid released a statement later on Saturday branding the claim "completely false, absurd and impossible".
"Given the information published today by the newspaper Mundo Deportivo, in which it says that our club studied the possibility of moving from LaLiga to the Premier [League], Real Madrid wants to assert that this information is completely false, absurd and impossible and it only intends to disturb, once more, the day to day of our club," Madrid said.
LaLiga chief laughs Mundo Deportivo report off as "nonsense"
Earlier, Tebas had reacted to Mundo Deportivo’s report by tweeting: "What a load of nonsense we’re hearing at the moment."