Honduras left with no chance of qualifying for 2022 World Cup
Honduras national team coach Hernán Darío Gómez, admitted that his team is out of the World Cup after losing to Costa Rica on Tuesday.
The Honduras national team saw their hopes to qualify to the World Cup vanish when Gerson Torres scored in stoppage time to give Costa Rica a 2-1 win on Tuesday on matchday 8 of the qualifiers in CONCACAF. ‘Los Catrachos’ are in last place with three points and they are the only team of the round-robin tournament yet to win a game.
Honduras is realistic about their situation
The final round has been complicated for Honduras and their football federation decided to change their manager last month in the hope they might make a late push with the tournament coming to an end. Hernán Darío Gómez took the managerial job in Honduras and made his debut last week with a 3-2 defeat to Panama in San Pedro Sula.
They suffered back-to-back defeats with a 2-1 defeat against Costa Rica in the last qualifying game of the year. There are six games left in the World Cup qualifiers in CONCACAF, but Gómez was clear that his team will not make it to Qatar next year due to the poor campaign they are having.
“The margin of error is minimum and to be realistic Honduras will probably not make it to the World Cup next year. When I took the job I said that to the bosses and the idea is for me to aim for the next World Cup. We have to look forward for the next tournaments like the Gold Cup and keep working for the next four years,” Gómez said on Tuesday night.
Recommended in English
- NFL Joe Burrow: Winning playoff games the standard to meet for the Bengals
- NFL What is Aaron Rodgers' record against the 49ers?
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid's big question: how to fit Erling Haaland and Kylian Mbappé into the same team
- US NEWS Which fast food restaurants accept EBT food stamps?
- 2022 TAX SEASON Are the tax brackets the same if I am retired?
- NFL Titans could activate RB Derrick Henry ahead of Bengals clash