Sebastian Giovinco set to return to Serie A with Sampdoria
The Italian playmaker has been training with Toronto FC and it was reported that the Major League Soccer side were set to try to offer him a deal to stay this season.
Sebastian Giovinco has been without a club since 15 August of 2021 and it was reported that he was going to return to Toronto FC ahead of the 2022 MLS regular season. The Italian playmaker even joined the Major League Soccer side during preseason in California, but it seems like the reunion will have to wait.
Giovinco to return to Serie A
The ‘Atomic Bomb’ was present during the first part of the preseason for the Reds and it was expected that he was going to be traveling to Texas this week to continue training with TFC. But things have changed really quickly because according to journalist Fabrizio Romano, the 35-year-old is about to make a return to the Serie A.
Giovinco will not make a Major League Soccer comeback because he will sign a contract with Sampdoria. The striker arrived in Genoa on Monday to undergo his medical examination and sign his new contract. The news came as a surprise because the president of Toronto FC, Bill Manning, had said that Sebastian Giovinco wanted to retire in MLS and the negotiations were going along well.
“Seba’s come in with a really good mentality. Obviously, he hadn’t played last May, so he keeps himself fit, but there’s a big difference between the kind of fitness work he was doing to look good and still be able to train right away, but that’s difference than the kind of sharpness and overall fitness you see from him when he’s at his best,” said Head Coach and Sporting Director Bob Bradley last week.