Barcelona

Flick pushes for Cancelo as Barcelona hands the reins to Deco for a crucial summer rebuild

The Portuguese full-back has convinced the German coach, who is urging Deco to try to sign him permanently.

The Portuguese full-back has convinced the German coach, who is urging Deco to try to sign him permanently.
Andreu Dalmau

With the season wrapping up this Saturday against Valencia, the spotlight now shifts to Deco. Barcelona’s sporting director is about to enter several intense weeks as the club begins shaping next year’s roster under Hansi Flick.

And the coach has been anything but shy about what he wants.

Flick knows exactly what he wants — and he expects the club to deliver. Just a few days ago, the German coach warned that Barcelona “can’t afford to do anything foolish” in the transfer market and stressed that every signing has to be a hit. While the club continues its search for a No. 9 and a center back, Flick is making one thing very clear: he wants João Cancelo to stay.

Everyone saw what he gave us these past weeks. I value that a lot, but it’s not easy. Deco has to handle it, and we have to wait and see what happens. He’s a fantastic player who gives everything for this club,” Flick said after the win over Betis.

The Barça coach has been thrilled with the Portuguese defender’s impact. Cancelo has brought depth, experience, and — even if Flick hasn’t needed it yet — plenty of versatility. He’s taken over the left side so convincingly that Alejandro Balde has been pushed aside, prompting a warning from Flick: “He needs to improve more.”

Cancelo has adapted seamlessly to Flick’s style: intensity, dynamism, attacking football, and breaking pressure lines with the ball at his feet. Defensive doubts have always followed him, but over this half‑season, he’s minimized them dramatically.

A complicated negotiation with Al‑Hilal

From here, Barcelona needs to strike a deal with Al‑Hilal, where Cancelo is under contract through 2027. The club had hoped he might secure a free release, but they now realize that’s unlikely. A transfer fee may be necessary — nothing outrageous, but Al‑Hilal is not expected to let him walk for nothing.

Cancelo, for his part, is crystal clear: he wants to stay at Barcelona. He wanted it last year too, after his loan from Manchester City, but the club’s financial situation made it impossible. This time, the circumstances are different, even if the deal may take longer than he’d like. What’s certain is that Flick has asked the club to fight to keep him.

Tension with Al‑Hilal

The player’s relationship with Al‑Hilal is strained. He has publicly accused the club of misleading him.

“At Al‑Hilal, unfortunately, there were people who didn’t tell me the truth. They said they would register me for the Saudi league, and when the time came, they didn’t. I always end up looking like the bad guy, but I keep my word and wouldn’t change that for anything. I’ve always been direct and without resentment,” he said during Barcelona’s league title celebrations.

Cancelo’s numbers this season

Cancelo has participated in a total of 22 matches since arriving in the winter transfer window: 15 in La Liga, with two goals and three assists, four in the Champions League and three in the Copa del Rey, also with an assist.

Related stories

Get closer to the game! Whether you like your soccer of the European variety or that on this side of the pond, our AS USA app has it all. Dive into live coverage, expert insights, breaking news, exclusive videos, and more. Plus, stay updated on NFL, NBA and all other big sports stories as well as the latest in current affairs and entertainment. Download now for all-access coverage, right at your fingertips – anytime, anywhere.

And there’s more: check out our TikTok and Instagram reels for bite-sized visual takes on all the biggest soccer news and insights.

Tagged in:
Comments
Rules

Complete your personal details to comment

We recommend these for you in Soccer