SEVILLA 3-1 SHAKHTAR DONETSK
Sevilla beat Shakhtar Donetsk to qualify for Europa League final
Sevilla beat Shakhtar Donetsk and will meet Liverpool in the final of the Europa League on 18 May in Basel.
Pure passion. Sevilla qualified for their fifth European final on Thursday, beating Shakhtar Donetsk 3-1 on the night, to go through 5-3 on aggregate, in an incredible atmosphere at the Sánchez Pizjuán on yet another magical European night.
Some strange power has linked Sevilla with the Europa League, formerly the Uefa Cup and for now they show no signs of being separated.
With this evening's win the Andalusians remain on course for a third consecutive Europa League title. The hero was Kevin Gameiro who struck twice to down Shakhtar. After his second goal he paid tribute to Sevilla player Krohn-Dehli who was injured in the first leg. Sevilla will now meet Liverpool in the final in Basel.
Sevilla have won the competition four times in the last 10 years and can secure their place in next season's Champions League with victory over Jurgen Klopp's men in Switzerland on May 18.
Already holding the cushion of two away goals from the first leg last week, Gameiro gave Sevilla the perfect start when he fired into the far corner after just nine minutes.
Former Arsenal striker Eduardo briefly gave the Ukrainians hope when he levelled on the night with a calm finish a minute before half-time.
However, Sevilla quickly reasserted their stranglehold on the tie with a fine team goal finished off by Gameiro two minutes into the second-half for his 28th goal of the season.
Brazilian right-back Mariano handed Sevilla a two-goal advantage they never looked like relinquishing when he smashed home a stunning third just before the hour mark from outside the box.
Sevilla cruised comfortably to the final whistle and their ticket to another final. And the fans sang: Sevilla, Sevilla, Sevilla...!
Te recomendamos en English
- JUVENTUS Juventus player Arthur Melo involved in car crash
- OLYMPICS Team USA will require vaccinations for Winter Olympics hopefuls
- WORLD NEWS La Palma volcano: what will happen when the lava reaches the Atlantic Ocean?
- CHILD TAX CREDIT Why have some parents not received the Child Tax Credit payment; how to claim it?
- Leagues Cup Final Seattle Sounders vs. Club León live updates: scores, stats, and updates | Leagues Cup Final
- Towns stunned after Timberwolves fire president of basketball ops