The Hopman Cup XXIX has decided to use the Fast4 Tennis format for the 2017 tournament to make matches more unpredictable and more engaging for spectators.
The system is based on four changes to the standard rules of tennis designed to increase the competitive edge of matches.
The mixed doubles games will be played in the best of three sets format, but with each set reduced to a maximum of seven games. Serves that hit the net cord will no longer be called as a let, games tied at 40-40 will not follow the deuce-advantage format and if a set is level at 3-3 a tiebreak will be played.
The Hopman Cup first employed Fast4 in 2015 and Roger Federer, who is playing in the tournament in January for the first time since 2002, was among those who welcomed the changes. “It makes every point more important. It’s difficult to break back. It makes the games more exciting and closer.”
“Fast4 Tennis will bring a new aspect to the sport and it will be more fun for the players and the fans,” said Hopman Cup tournament director Paul Kilderry.
Te recomendamos en English
- REAL MADRID Robert Lewandowski's priority is Real Madrid
- QATAR 2022 What cities and stadiums will host the 2022 FIFA World Cup?
- PREMIER LEAGUE United's Pogba: 'We deserved to lose and need to find the problem'
- BARCELONA Dani Alves opens door for sensational Barcelona return
- NFL How does the salary cap of NBA teams work? Trades, extensions, minimum veteran salary
- MLB Houston Astros take Game 1 over Boston Red Sox in ALCS