The fall-out from Toni Kroos' controversial New Year's message continues, with Barcelona star Neymar the latest high-profile Brazilian to reply to the German.
Kroos taunts Brazil over World Cup rout
Real Madrid midfielder Kroos raised eyebrows in the early hours of 1 January by wishing his social-media followers a "Happy 2017" - with the player using the Brazil and Germany flags to represent the '1' and '7', respectively.
The post was a clear reference to Germany's memorable 7-1 humbling of hosts Brazil in the semi-finals of the 2014 World Cup, which Die Mannschaft went on to win.
Marcelo urges "respect"
Marcelo - who was in the Seleçao team that day - and legendary striker Ronaldo both published responses to Kroos, with his Real team-mate calling for "respect".
Feliz año a todos mucha salud y RESPETO a los demás siempre!— Marcelotwelve (@MarceloM12) 1 January 2017
Feliz ano novo a todos muita saude e RESPEITO Ao próximo sempre! 🇧🇷🇧🇷🇧🇷🇧🇷🇧🇷
And Barça's Neymar has joined in the retorts to the 27-year-old, replying on Instagram with a 'hand' emoticon - whose five fingers appear to be an allusion to Brazil's five World Cup victories, one more than Germany's all-time haul of four.
Recommended in English
- Real Madrid Real Madrid: The reasons behind Gareth Bale's rupture with the club and the fans
- SOCCER Xabi Alonso: "Winning Euro 2008 with Spain shut Carragher up..."
- PREMIER LEAGUE Klopp cheers world class Mané ahead of Southampton reunion
- NBA | PELICANS Pelicans All-Star Zion Williamson cleared for full team activities
- NBA | SUNS Streaking Suns keeping eyes on NBA prize as record looms
- NBA Curry salutes Klay Thompson after latest Warriors masterclass