Messi expects to be out for 'a little while' after injury in Barcelona training
Lionel Messi strained a calf muscle in Barcelona training but expects to be sidelined for only a short time.
Lionel Messi expects to be out of action for "a little while" after suffering a calf injury during Barcelona training on Monday.
The Argentina star sustained a grade one strain to his right calf muscle in his first session back with LaLiga's champions after his post-Copa America holiday.
The 32-year-old will miss Barça's pre-season trip to the United States while he recovers from the problem.
Messi disappointed to mis Barcelona's US trip
Although Barça have not put a timeframe on his recovery, Messi does not seem to think the injury will keep him sidelined for long.
"I was looking forward to starting and unfortunately I had an accident in the first training session that will leave me out for a little while," he wrote on Instagram.
"I'm grateful for all your messages and displays of affection, I wanted to be with the team and with the people who follow us in the USA.
"It wasn't to be this time, but we'll see each other again soon. A hug to everyone."
Barça face Napoli in Miami and Ann Arbor this week in the final stretch of their pre-season duties.
They begin their league title defence away to Athletic Bilbao on August 16.
Recommended in English
- LIGA MX Atlas to face Pumas UNAM in the semi-final
- PRIMEIRA LIGA Covid-hit Belenenses SAD hammered by Benfica in forfeited game
- JUVENTUS Juventus confirm police probe into Serie A club's transfer dealings
- SOCCER Which players have won the most Ballons d'Or?
- BALLON D'OR When did Cristiano Ronaldo win his Ballon d'Or awards? Seasons and stats
- BALLO D'OR When did Messi win all of his Ballon d'Or awards? Seasons and stats