Coronavirus antibody test: what is it and how does it work?
Laboratories across the world are working on the production of coronavirus antibody tests that quickly indicate if the tester has contracted the Covid-19 virus previously.
An antibody or serological test is used in the detection in ascertaining if an individual has contracted the Covid-19 virus previously and can also detect if the person in question has subsequently recovered.
The fifteen minute test involves a finger-prick procedure with the blood quickly analysed to determine if coronavirus antibodies have been generated thus gaining a higher level of immunity to future infection.
This test detects recovered COVID patients, who may’ve had a mild disease and are likely immune.— Faheem Younus, MD (@FaheemYounus) April 2, 2020
Test + people could:
- donate plasma for others
- serve on the frontlines
- stop fearing the virus as they’ve already beaten it!
UK based daily The Telegraph maintain that the British government have purchased over three million of these finger-prick tests and with the tests set to be available for purchase in the future via Amazon and the Boots chain with an expected retail price of approximately seven euro.
Hancock advocates social distancing
Speaking ion the BBC last week, UK Secretary of State for Health and Social Care, Matt Hancock told BBC’s Today Programme: “The antibody tests are important as scientists say they are more important later as we are trying to come out of the extraordinary social distancing measures, the lockdown, because it is on the way out that you then know how many people have the immunity. At the moment, the most important thing for getting out of this as soon as possible is for people to follow the social distancing rules.”
Live coverage of the coronavirus crisis
You can stay up-to-date with the latest developments in the coronavirus pandemic by following our daily live blog.
The complete lowdown on Covid-19
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Third stimulus check updates today: when it's coming, $1400 payments, IRS tax refund, House vote | Live
- Coronavirus Coronavirus US: are current vaccines effective against the Californian strain?
- Coronavirus Can unemployed Americans who refuse a job apply for unemployment benefits?
- Coronavirus Stimulus Checks Third stimulus check: how many votes are needed to pass the relief bill?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Third stimulus check calculator: how much could you receive?
- US POLITICS Will Mitch McConnell support Trump's possible candidacy in 2024?