Miguel Herrera aims for first Concachampions final
The Concacaf Champions League is the only final that Miguel Herrera has never been involved in as head coach of Club América and tonight they have to defeat LAFC to achieve that goal.
Club América will face Los Angeles FC on Saturday night in a single-elimination match and the winner of tonight’s match will advance to the final of the Concacaf Champions League. This is the only tournament that Miguel Herrera has not won with América in two different periods as head coach.
After losing to Chivas in both legs of the semifinals of the 2020 Guardianes tournament in the Liga MX, Herrera has the pressure to lift the Concachampions with América in order to have a successful semester.
Third time lucky for Herrera?
In the 2013-2014 Concachampions, Club América were in the same group as Alajuelense and Sporting San Miguel. On paper it was an easy group for the Liga MX side, but Alajuelense from Costa Rica, shocked everyone when they beat América at the Azteca stadium to advance to the next round. This was Herrera’s first big failure as head coach of Club América.
Four years later, Club América made it to the semifinals of the tournament and they had to defeat Toronto FC to advance to the final. In the first leg, the MLS side beat América 3-1 and in the second leg they equalized 1-1. Toronto FC eliminated América in the aggregate 4-1 and they would go ahead and lose the final against Chivas that year.
Now Miguel Herrera has a new opportunity to keep making history as head coach of América and the third time could be the charm for him. The Liga MX side defeated Atlanta United in the semifinals and now they will face off against one of the best teams of Major League Soccer, LAFC in the semifinals of the 2020 Concacaf Champions League.
Te recomendamos en English
- Olympic Games Zverev sorry for sinking Djokovic's Golden Slam hopes
- Tax Refund How many Americans will receive the $1600 Tax refund payment?
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: Women´s 100m final, USA Basketball, medal count, results, today 30 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOCCER Henry Martín could miss Mexico’s game against South Korea
- OLYMPIC GAMES What's the top speed of a 100m sprinter?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | ATHLETICS What are Usain Bolt's records on the Olympic track? 100m, 200m...