MLS All-Star Game 2021: how many MLS All-Stars are American?
The MLS All-Stars take on the Liga MX All-Stars in the 2021 MLS All-Star Game at Banc of California Stadium in LA on Wednesday.
There are eight Americans among the 15 different nationalities in the Major League Soccer All-Star roster preparing for this week's MLS All-Star Game.
MLS All-Stars to face Liga MX All-Stars in Los Angeles
A 28-man group has been announced for the clash, which will see the MLS All-Stars take on the Liga MX All-Stars at Banc of California Stadium in Los Angeles on Wednesday 25 August (9pm EDT).
The MLS All-Stars were originally due to face the Liga MX All-Stars in the All-Star Game in July 2020, but the fixture was postponed due to the outbreak of the coronavirus pandemic.
MLS All-Stars selection process
The MLS All-Stars were selected via three separate paths: 13 players were picked by the All-Star head coach, LAFC boss Bob Bradley; 13 were voted in by a combination of fans, media and MLS players; and a further two were chosen by MLS commissioner Don Garber.
US players on MLS All-Stars' roster
The eight US players selected are: Julian Araujo (LA Galaxy), Cade Cowell (San Jose Earthquakes), Ricardo Pepi (FC Dallas), Miles Robinson (Atlanta United), Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders), James Sands (NYFC), Matt Turner (New England Revolution) and Walker Zimmerman (Nashville SC).
Roldan was chosen as the MLS All-Stars' captain in a fan vote. The 26-year-old's brother, Seattle Sounders team-mate Alex, is also on the MLS All-Star roster, but represents El Salvador, the nation of their mother’s birth.
Behind the US, Colombia and Argentina are the MLS All-Stars' joint-second-most represented country, with three players each.
MLS All-Stars: full roster (position, club, nationality)
13 players selected by Bob Bradley
• Matt Turner (goalkeeper, New England Revolution, US)
• Julian Araujo (defender, LA Galaxy, US)
• Jesús David Murillo (defender, LAFC, Colombia)
• Miles Robinson (defender, Atlanta United, US)
• James Sands (defender, NYFC, US)
• Kai Wagner (defender, Philadelphia Union, Germany)
• Eduard Atuesta (midfielder, LAFC, Colombia)
• Damir Kreilach (midfielder, Real Salt Lake, Croatia)
• Emanuel Reynoso (midfielder, Minnesota United, Argentina)
• Gustavo Bou (forward, New England Revolution, Argentina)
• Ricardo Pepi (forward, FC Dallas, US)
• Diego Rossi (forward, LAFC, Uruguay)
• Dániel Sallói (forward, Sporting Kansas City, Hungary)
13 players chosen by fan, media and player vote
• Pedro Gallese (goalkeeper, Orlando City, Peru)
• Walker Zimmerman (defender, Nashville SC, US)
• Yeimar (defender, Seattle Sounders, Colombia)
• Alex Roldan (defender, Seattle Sounders, El Salvador)
• Nouhou (defender, Seattle Sounders, Cameroon)
• Lucas Zelarayán (midfielder, Columbus Crew, Argentina)
• Cristian Roldan (midfielder, Seattle Sounders, US)
• João Paulo (midfielder, Seattle Sounders, Brazil)
• Carles Gil (midfielder, New England Revolution, Spain)
• Carlos Vela (forward, LAFC, Mexico)
• Raúl Ruidíaz (forward, Seattle Sounders, Peru)
• Javier ‘Chicharito’ Hernández (forward, LA Galaxy, Mexico)
• Nani (forward, Orlando City, Portugal)
Two players selected by Don Garber
• Tajon Buchanan (forward, New England Revolution, Canada)
• Cade Cowell (forward, San Jose Earthquakes, US)
Te recomendamos en English
- EL CLÁSICO Barcelona vs Real Madrid possible starting line-ups
- SOCCER Barcelona's Piqué talks to El País about retirement, Messi, Clásico
- PREMIER LEAGUE Cristiano Ronaldo vows to silence critics and win trophies at Manchester United
- LIGUE 1 Marseille vs PSG: times, TV and how to watch online
- MLB Dodgers vs. Braves commentary, scores, stats and updates: Championship Series
- WORLD NEWS La Palma volcano, live updates today: eruption, tsunami warning and latest news | Canary Islands