Stimulus checks by mail: USPS Informed Delivery service allows you to track your check
Here's how to track your mail-delivered stimulus check using the US Postal Service's Informed Delivery service.
More than 130 million stimulus checks have been sent out since the IRS began processing the payments following the passing of the CARES Act at the end of March.
And while the majority of recipients opted to have their payments ($1,200 per qualifying individual) wire transferred to their bank accounts, many others are anxiously awaiting their checks to arrive in the mail. In fact, mail delivery is the only option for those who did not sign up for direct deposit before the IRS’ 13 May deadline.
As a means to ease anxiety regarding your mail-ordered checks, the US Postal Service has a mail-tracking service that allows you to keep an eye on mail due to be delivered to your address.
The free service is called Informed Delivery and it works by sending users a digital image of the actual envelope containing their checks. The service also issues a notification when the envelope is in transit to your home.
Informed Delivery is not just a service to track stimulus checks. In fact, it's a pre-existing service that tracks all of your mail.
How to sign up for Informed Delivery
1. Go to the Postal Service's Informed Delivery page and tap click: ‘Sign Up for Free’
2. Enter your mailing address, and hit ‘Continue’ to see if the service is available in your area.
3. Once you have confirmation that the service is available in your area, you must accept the terms and conditions and press 'Continue'.
4. On the following page, choose your username, password and security questions. Then, enter your contact information and click 'Continue'.
5. On the next page, you'll need to verify your identity, for which there are three options: (i) receive a verification code on your phone; (ii) request an invitation code by mail; or (iii) visit a post office to verify your identity in person (when applicable).
Once your all setup (it can take up to three days to activate your account), you will receive an email each morning informing you of mail scheduled to arrive at your address, notifying you of mail that will be delivered, along with a digital image of the front of the letter.
Recommended in English
- US NEWS What has Biden said about Justice Breyer's replacement on the Supreme Court?
- SIGA SIGA Global Mentorship Program creating the next generation of female leaders
- NFL How many Super Bowls have the San Francisco 49ers won?
- NFL Chiefs fans donate $223K to Buffalo hospital to mark win vs Bills
- NBA Statue of Kobe and Gianna Bryant erected at crash site
- NBA Giannis admits Cavs deserves greater respect after Bucks win